Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Taste of Chicago

We took a quick trip to Chicago last weekend to visit Great Grandma Nealis and take in some of the sights. I'll get to that post in due time, but first I have to share the most exciting and important part of all---tasting some of the finest foods Chicago has to offer.

Our first stop was a Midwest staple, one that Elizabeth and I had never tried: White Castle. Not much to those small burgers, but at least I can say I've tried them now.
We had to get breaded steak sandwiches of course, so we picked up a few to take to Great-Grandma for supper one night. Those things are HUGE. And awesome.

Next up: Deep Dish Pizza. This is the point in the trip where I learned a very valuable lesson, which is to never buy batteries from the dollar store. My camera batteries died right before lunch and naturally my extra ones were in our hotel room. I ran in the dollar store to buy a pack. The salesman recommended the Spiderman batteries because they were heavy duty (which makes perfect sense of course). None of the batteries worked right out of the pack, and they ones they gave me as an exchange worked for about 15 minutes. Lesson learned.

Anyway---I didn't get a picture of the largest piece of deep dish pizza I've ever seen. But I did eat it and it was wonderful.

On the way out of town we had to satisfy John's craving for Polish food. We found a really good Polish/Lithuianian restaurant and filled up on sausage before getting on the plane home. Probably a good thing that we had a row to ourselves.

We did do other things besides eat and that will come in another post. I think I still have a bit of detoxing from all of this food left...

No comments: