My birthday is coming up soon, and some family members have been on the ball and already asking what gifts I want or need this year. I must say I have a great family to be so on top of things! When thinking about the question "what do I need?", the answer is truly NOTHING.
So, this year I have decided to donate my birthday. I have everything I need in this world and then some--a roof over my head, more than enough food to eat, clothes to wear, access to good healthcare, and (most importantly) wonderful family and friends. Yet there are so many people right here in our area who don't have any of this. I feel it's the right thing to do to forego any material gifts this year and instead ask for support for charities that help improve the quality of life for others. For anyone who usually gives me a gift, please don't. Donate the money that would be spent to a charity instead. If there is a charity near and dear to your heart, please give to that one. If none come to mind here are a few suggestions:
The Food Bank of Eastern NC http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=FBCENCHome&cvridirect=true
Shriner's Childrens Hospital http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main
Raleigh Rescue Mission http://www.raleighrescue.org/
My intent is not to be preachy, nor to solicit any gifts from anyone. I just wanted to provide my birthday list for those who asked and also express how grateful I am for all that I have. One of my goals as a parent is to make sure Elizabeth knows how blessed she is, and that we should always try to help those in need. We don't have to compare ourselves to our friends and neighbors who have more "stuff" than we do, we need to be thankful for what we have and share our fortune with others. We may not have the biggest house on the block, or the fanciest car, or closets full of designer clothes, but we have a lot. So why not share?
And, just to hold you over until the next Elizabeth post, here's a picture of Elizabeth laying next to the life-sized picture she made of herself at school. She's quite proud of herself as she says her picture looks just like her :) 
No comments:
Post a Comment